Labels

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine's Day



I guess if one has to choose between like and dislike of the day I would say I don't really care for it primarily because I resent the fact that at one time I did care.  I cared desperately.  Whenever February 14 would come around I felt shut out, hopeless, lonesome and oh so  'undesired.' 

That's the trick the Valentine day marketers like you to fall for. Do people not realize that we are being manipulated by people who just want our money? 
These master  manipulators prey on our own inner self-doubt about our worthiness and  what  seems to be universal low self-esteem. It is as if they have some sort of connection to those mean little inner whispers of self talk that we all have  running just beneath the surface of our public facade.

I was sans Valentine for many many years.  I suffered the angst of loneliness and of being the 'undesired' and 'unchosen' until I just got fed up with feeling that way.  It was only when I decided  that I didn't need to have someone to  'complete' me  that I bought my own house, my own deep freeze,  my own car.   I even travelled overseas alone.  I dressed how I wanted, did my hair how I wanted, and pretty much lived a life of freedom and personal growth.

Then I met  the man who would become my husband. It was NOT twitterpation at first sight,  although the relationship from the get go was a  relaxed and natural friendship based primarily on respect.  There was no neediness, angst, or self consciousness involved.  I suspect the reason for that was because we both were sure of our own self-worth.  We both knew that we would be  and indeed already were 'ok' without the other.     

 After being married a considerable length of time I can pretty much say that I do have a Valentine.  After so many years I can also pretty much say I have an Easter Bunny, a Leprechaun, a  Thanksgiving Turkey ,  an April's Fool , and a Prince Charming all wrapped into one lovable albeit human life partner who happens to be my husband .

"As soon as you don't need to have someone, you will have someone..even if it's yourself. And there isn't anything better."...plhoffman













No comments:

Post a Comment