Labels

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

No Stereo Please

My husband is a trained electronic technician . He graduated  with a Certificate in Radio TV Electronics.  He even graduated with an ADVANCED standing because he  had training in the repair and maintenance of Video Cassette Recorders ..aka VCRs.

Believe it or not that little Certificate actually has brought him respect and admiration from a  small but certain 'segment' of society that still enjoy and rely on their VCR to record their favourite programs from their satellite receiver. 

The other day while my husband was at work I received a phone call from one of these 'segments' who still relied on  the digital clock on their VCR to tell them when their favourite program would begin and when it was time to pop in the tape.  Shortly after  I realized who the caller was ,  I  knew that the conversation  was going to involve some high tech gadgetry and that I would be calling my husband  to tell him to stop off on his way home to  help these people with their VCR.

Upon arrival at the home of said  'segment'  my husband found that the VCR did not have a remote that would work with the TV.. He explained  that  a new VCR  was required, even if the one they had was only eight years old.

 The next day at approximately the same time  in the afternoon, the telephone rang again and once more it was the 'segment' calling to  tell me that they had just got back from the city where they had purchased  a new VCR from the  only store that carried them. They needed my husband to come and help them set it up. 

 Which he did, while listening to comments like:  "What no clock?", " Don't make it stereo..such a buzzing in my ears...that mono sound is good enough.", and " I wish a person just had a 'pull on/push off' button on televisions instead of remotes." "Oh, that's the way the batteries go in."   

I told my husband not to mock or judge because someday  we might be considered some sort of 'segment' and that bright young man who lives down the road from us might have to come and help us operate the telephone, Internet, computer, and possibly even the toaster.. 


Oh yes, my husband got paid-- 



Two dozen brown  eggs from the 'segment's' own  free range chickens (well as much free range as February will allow)--no high tech remotes involved.
          

                                            

No comments:

Post a Comment