Labels

Sunday, November 18, 2012

A Requiem

It was suggested by our Pastor in today's sermon that we should think about  our own memorial service and how we would like to be remembered, how we would be remembered, and how maybe today and all the rest of tomorrows left to us can be seen as opportunities to affect that ultimate remembrance.


Thus, these are the things I think  will sans doubt be overheard, and some are things that I hope are overheard, and also some things that I dread will be overheard during  that far off moment in time when Penny Lou Hoffman's Memorial Service will be a reality; albeit  a brief  affair, and I suspect, scantily attended.

"Did you leave the lights on in the car?  I hope you locked it.  Some of her relatives might show up."

"102 years old? Wow! The things she musta seen--dinosaurs, dial telephones,   Ford Explorers, and maybe even  daily newspapers.  Just think, she might have even held a paper book in her hand."

 
"Did he say she walked the Chilkoot Pass at the age of 65?"

"Look at all those grandchildren.  They say they were the Apple of her eye--too bad she couldn't have seen out of both."

"I just came here for the lunch.  She wasn't all that good of a neighbour.  Nope never so much as a telephone call when MY mother died."

"You would have figured after all those post retirement years teaching in the Congo she would have been able to afford a better casket than plywood , and wrapped in a Hudson Bay Blanket no less." 


"I will never forget the time she came and picked me up and took me into town when I was sick.  Dropped off a whole box full of casseroles and desserts for the freezer for our family while I was laid up."

"She certainly had a way about knowing what was right and wrong.  Sort of 'my way' or the 'highway' sort of gal--nothing wrong with that except I bet  the highway was a whole lot more friendlier than 'her' way."

"SHE gave to the World Vision fund?...Hmph ,  going by what she gave to the church one would have figured she was dirt poor and scratching for chicken feed. "

"I heard she would only shop at Value Village for the last 40 years."


"Loving wife for 57 years?  Why that poor man had to put up with more whining, complaining, and emotional turmoil than a body could stand. No wonder he  finally found himself a cute 67 year old and took off to finer climes!  Who could blame him?"

" A good communicator?  Is he talking about calling people on the telephone every afternoon, morning, or evening just to gossip and complain? Hanging around Facebook and emails commenting and  posting unsolicited statuses filling up inboxes with mundane messages. I  finally had to Block her these past few years." 

" A loving mother to four children?  Yep she was that, at least that was her goal no doubt.  Apparently not all would agree, but if intentions and preferences count, her name  would have gone down beside some of the great ones; Mother Goose, Mother McChree* , Mother Superior, as well as a bit of Ma Barker."

"A great faith and confidence in the Saving Grace of our Lord Jesus Christ and ultimate Forgiveness of our sins?  Well, who would have thought THAT?  Ol'Mrs. Hold a Grudge Until Yer Teeth Fall Out Hoffman, also known as The Great Reminder of Hurts Done and Faults Discovered?  I would never have thunk it possible." 

"She never was quite 'right' after that knee surgery back in '13.  Too much anesthetic they say does that sometimes, although the wooden leg didn't seem to hinder her much."

"Why don't they mention how much she loved her RED Wine?  Boy, I could tell a few stories....".

" What is with this? Donations may be made to the Muslim, First Nation,  and/or Visible Minority Anti-Email Joke and Hate Literature Fund in lieu of flowers? Sounds almost Communistic."

"Milk and Cookie  Gang Charter Member?  What would that be? One of those fad diet groups I bet. Like Vegans, or those Nuts and Berry Eat Dirt and Be Happy Groups from the big city."

"Well that's that, nice and short.  A bit too flowery but aren't all funerals?  I see they are serving coffee at the luncheon in real cups and it's a sit down affair.  At least someone remembered how much she hated standing in line for food at a funeral..or anywhere else for that matter."  

"Well, if the line up is too long I am outa here. Not catching me being on the clean up committee. She never hung around for that so I am not either. See you at Bible Study."



 
This might be seen as a relief for some if this was to become my headstone.


I quite like the simplicity of this.


Well, clever in its way, I am not sure it holds the message of Comfort in Eternal Rest one might look for.
 
 
I like this one because there is lots of space for writing as I would like it to read:
 
Penny Lou Dixon
Wife of Irwin
Mother of Alexander, Sarah, Rachel, Heidi
 
 
I read about doing this in a book once and like the idea.
Our names forever connected.
 
 
 Mother MacChree *The fabled mother so often invoked in times of crisis. In actual fact, the phrase has its origins in Ireland, where a unique mix of Irish (Gaelic) and English languages produces this phrase. 'McCree' is a derivative of the Irish "mo chroí", literally, "my heart": this results in the whole phrase meaning "Mother of my heart".

No comments:

Post a Comment