Labels

Saturday, November 22, 2014

Loblaws Superstore Optical Yorkton

I recently went to Loblaw Optical in Yorkton Superstore in Yorkton, Sask.


I had ordered two pair of glasses there about a month ago. I paid for them upfront .


I received a phone call about a week ago telling me that my glasses were in and I could pick them up.


Yesterday, during a miserable prairie day that included freezing rain warnings I travelled to Yorkton..a one hour drive..specifically to pick up the glasses. 


Upon arriving at the Optical centre I told the receptionist who I was and she said that I would be required  to talk to the technician before I could get my glasses . There were a couple of other women ahead of me. I suggested that perhaps I would come back in 15 minutes and the receptionist nodded that that would be ok. 


In fifteen minutes I returned and the receptionist told me that it would be another 45 minutes because the technician had JUST gone into a consultation with a contact lenses measurement.



I said that that is ok..I would just take the glasses anyway.



The receptionist told me that it was against the law to give me my glasses without talking to the technician first.



I explained that I was from out of town and expressed that I didn't really want to wait another 45 minutes..and that I would just take the glasses and go. 

  The receptionist told me that they had 'lots of people from out of town" and that I couldn't get my glasses until I talked to the technician because it wasn't legal.  



I then asked if I came back in 45 minutes could she put me in a queue so that I would talk to the technician then...the receptionist told me that I couldn't have that done because it was a 'walk in clinic' and they don't take appointments..(apparently they do take appointments for contact lens measurements however.)



I then stated that either I get my glasses now or give me my money back. It was about this time the receptionist told me I was rude and not to return to their place of business again....which I readily agreed to...but I still needed my glasses. 
 

The technician came out and proceeded to talk to the receptionist in the back room and then told me never to come back to the store again and that I was a very rude person..and that they didn't like dealing with people like me , and I must never never come back again...which I readily agreed to do...but that I still wanted my glasses and I would gladly go.



There was a customer's husband sitting waiting for his wife to get the contact lenses measured who chimed in against me telling me I was rude and asked me why I was giving the receptionist and technician a hard time....which I totally ignored and did not reply to at all...In fact after the first comment I turned my back on him and ignored his taunts..focusing on my need and repeated requests for either my money back or my glasses.

  The issue I had was not the fact that the contact lens person had an appointment...my issue was that I wanted my glasses so I could go on my way.  I had no problem with the technician serving the contact lens person...my problem was that I wanted my glasses. ..simple as that...the contact lens person had  prearranged appointment. --.I had no demands to stop that appointment in anyway..so I don't understand why the customer's husband was berating me other than some character trait of his own driving his actions.  





The receptionist and technician commented again (they did this about 15 times in my mind) that I was a rude person who they did not want in their store ever again...and they mentioned that they even had 'back up' from the customer's husband who commented again about what was going on and how I was bothering these people...I could hear him swear .





Finally after I am guessing about 5 to 8 minutes of this back an forth horrible attack on my personal character the receptionist brought out one pair of glasses and again told me never to come back...

I then asked for the second pair of glasses... She said ,Y"ou have another pair? She looked up on the computer and realized that I had indeed paid  for prescription sunglasses-- also on order . I asked if they were ready too and she replied in the same voice she had used all during the conversation...'no they aren't ready yet '... I took the first pair of glasses and said I would be back on Tuesday to see if the sunglasses were in.

All in all this was a horrible experience. I feel I was bullied for whatever reason by the receptionist , the technician, and the unnamed husband of the contact lenses person.

I did not swear. I did not intimidate. I did not call names. I did not label. I did not bang or threaten in any way.  (I did tap on the counter as I recall)

I was firm in my desire to get my glasses without benefit of having a technician due to road conditions and time restraints.

I was never told that there was a possibility of having well over an hour wait to pick up the glasses when I purchased the glasses or when I was phoned that I could pick them up.  

I was not treated with respect as I was told I was a horrible person with a bad attitude...and told repeatedly over and over and over again never to return..even when I  readily agreed that I would not. There would be a lull in the conversation and the technician would say it again to me and I would say..no I won't come back...another lull and then the receptionist would say something about my horrible character and I would say that I won't come back...and then they would repeat it again. The fact that they allowed another customer to chime in when I never even addressed any comment to him or about the contact lens customer  was also  abusive.

The receptionist did not tell me that if I left in the first instance..when I said that I would shop for 15 minutes..that the technician would be busy for  the next 45 minutes at 1:00. If I had known that I might have chosen to do other errands in Yorkton and then perhaps returned at 2pm .. But when I returned after the first 15 minutes and then was told I would have to wait another 45 minutes and only MAYBE get to see the technician....without any chance of being in a queue because it was a 'walk in clinic' without appointments except for contact lenses people I felt I didn't want to 'hang' around on the off chance of being put off again for another hour...especially in light of the rain warning on the highways.

I am beginning to think that the reason they told me so many times not to come back as it is a method to insure that I can't complain about the glasses.

It was a very upsetting experience. My background in getting new glasses has often involved having them mailed out to me so when I asked just to be given the glasses it did not seem like such an unreasonable solution to the problem.


Actually the glasses I did receive don't feel as good as I would like but  I didn't get an opportunity to even put them on my face as I felt I had to get out ASAP. If I had known how they felt before leaving I could have possibly left them there and talked to the technician another time. That option wasn't even considered by either the receptionist or technician...as I was told almost as soon as I said I would take the glasses or my money to never return to the store again.

I am a woman of Metis descent which may or may not have played into the situation.

I have had some experience with working with bullying as I am a former university degree teacher,   and have worked in areas dealing with dysfunction and abuse. I believe I was a victim of a sort of gang bulling mentality from the receptionist , technician and customer in this situation.

I talked to the manager in Yorkton Superstore about this incident .  He didn't take my name or number...but I did feel that he listened to my complaint.

My biggest concern now is 'How am I going to get the sunglasses which are paid for and on order?" How am I going to walk into that place of business without going through that whole ordeal once more?  I certainly am not allowing that technician to discuss the quality of sunglasses with me...a sort of intimate scene..after she had berated me and insulted my character yesterday. 






@  an aside note:  The receptionist finally did give me the glasses...without my consulting with the technician...so did she break the law  that she cited almost from the beginning or did she not?

1 comment:

  1. After contacting Loblaws Optical Head Office in Toronto I received a call from Yorkton Superstore Optical saying that they will return my money whenever I come in to collect it.
    Head Office for Loblaws handled this situation fairly and in due course.
    I think that perhaps this incident was just a case of poor judgment on the part of the individuals at Yorkton Optical only and does not necessarily reflect on the policy of Loblaws Optical throughout the country.

    ReplyDelete