Labels

Saturday, November 29, 2014

A Car Party

Tis the Season for Gaiety, Gifts , and Get Togethers. So when I was emailed a few weeks ago about a Legion  Pot Luck Christmas Party that  my local Legion Branch was invited to  in the town just down the highway, I decided  that it was time that we started participating in the  heraldry of the Festive Season.


I booked off work.  I organized the roasting and seasoning of ribs.  I planned the 'Bean Pot' casserole.  I chose carefully the mode of transportation  of  food to venue-- keeping in mind the risk of tipping and juice leakage.


All went well.  Lots of parking it seemed at the Legion Hall upon our arrival so we didn't have issues with carrying casseroles into the building.  I did notice almost immediately  while standing at the doorway , that there was very little activity in the kitchen and before I could comment I was greeted by an acquaintance that informed us that the evening supper was being catered to and there was no need for a potluck. 




Knowing that plans often were changed  on short notice we returned our food offerings to the back of the van and  went back to the hall.


After paying for our meal ticket and sitting down at the table and not unlike a character from an episode of that long ago television show "Where are You Now?" , I  slowly got  an inkling of something strange in the air as a) the Bar  was not  opened and I had understood that Happy Hour was to be held from 5-6--- thus explaining our  early arrival time; and b) I  did not recognize  anyone as Legion members per se  sitting at the tables. These feelings of  uncertainty were easily put aside due to the warmth and welcome of everyone in the room.


 This  warm holiday hospitality helped  to glean over any question of date and locale even when  I was a bit taken aback as it was announced that the membership fees were $25 this year as our Branch's fees are somewhat higher.  That and the fact that this Branch was selling calendars for $15 was again a source of  mild surprise as I hadn't realized that Legion Branches were selling calendars as a fund raiser.  


It wasn't until the comments about auctioning off some cars were made that I realized that ' even if I knew where I was doesn't mean that that is where I thought I was'.  In fact it finally occurred to me that I was pretty much in the right place at the wrong time as 'my' Legion Pot Luck supper had been held the evening before and I was in actuality attending the Saskatchewan Rustriders Antique Car Club's Christmas Party.


  There hadn't been a change from Pot Luck to catering, there hadn't been a change in membership fees, and the Legion had not started selling 'car' calendars to raise money. 


When I explained my error to the Master of Ceremonies I was assured that our presence was welcome and there was enough food for all .


So there we sat surrounded by a roomful of die hard car enthusiasts.  We were entertained by lovely music of Guitar Playing and Country and Western Singing, Joke Telling, and Gift Exchange (which we were allowed to be part of in spite of not having brought any gifts ...if you don't count the two  rapidly cooling casseroles in the van).


It was quite a lovely evening.  The conversation around the tables consisted of discussions and debates of various exhaust systems, paint, carburetors, and engine specifications . 


One of the most unusual and probably unique aspects of attending a Christmas party of car enthusiasts was the much anticipated Car Auction.


At the head table on display there were about 10  New Hot Wheel  Classic Model Cars 'still in the package '.  Midway through the evening of singing entertainment the action turned to an auction of these Classic Model Cars.  Each car was duly taken around the table so that all potential buyers knew the make , model, year, and colour of each .  There wasn't one miniature model that did not illicit knowledgeable comments about engine size, gear ratio, or muffler specifics.


  An auctioneer was assigned and the bidding was  ON!


Not one of those little  classic model cars were sold for less than $20 and some even went for $40.  My husband and I watched the auction with interest and amusement as the good natured jibes and 'one upmanship' bidding raised the value of each car to many many more times than its 'normal' worth at Wal Mart.  


After the auction had been completed and the cars turned over to their new owners, I realized that all the proceeds of the sale were going to go towards the local Secret Santa Program for the underprivileged --just proving that the Hot Wheel cars weren't the only things that were Classy at this Christmas party.




It was all in all a happy accident that could have happened to anyone...as is proven by  the guy that sat close to us  as he had accidently attended the Legion  Christmas Party held  the previous  night thinking that the Car Party was being held on that date.


 It is all part of the Saskatchewan Small Town Experience that people can just show up at a group function and are welcomed as long lost neighbours and friends.


I am going to another Legion Christmas party next Sunday...or at least I think I am.


No comments:

Post a Comment