Labels

Friday, November 9, 2012

I'll Write a Letter to My Love



  I always like to see what types of writing paper I can find  in the Big City Thrift Store to spice up my letters to my pen pal. As the packages are wrapped in sealed plastic bags one has to sort of just 'guessamate' at what might be inside.  Once I thought I was buying numerous cards when in actuality I was only buying pieces of scrap booking cards...many, many, many pieces.   Another consequence of not knowing exactly what is inside each bag is that I do now have a grand array of Christmas Cards which will soon be sent out with every letter written from now until the 7th of January.

It was not until we got home this afternoon  did I have a chance to open the two bags of  cards that I had purchased on yet another stationery quest from the Thrift Shop and found that one contained  an eclectic collection of  unused

POST CARDS!

Now a Post Card to those of you who rarely get anything more than a 3rd Class piece of mail delivered along with various flyers from hardware stores, announcing that you  may have won or  have won already several thousands of dollars, if not millions, just as soon as you return an order form and credit card number for a magazine  subscription you never knew you wanted or a trip to a destination where previously you didn't know  existed; is a sort of short little 'text message' from the olden days when the written word was created by hand, without benefit of spell checkers or word completion or whatever that method is where the machine finishes the word for the writer.  

 The Post Card was primarily used by the writer to tell the receiver, "See.  This is where I am and You are NOT."   Little short notes of "Having a Wonderful Time."  "Weather is Great" and "Hope all is well this January in the far North" could be scrawled across the back with the obligatory "Ha! Ha! Ha!" at the bottom.   My mother even sent my dad a post card from her trip to California with a picture of Alcatraz with the caption "Wish You Were Here".   I did receive a lovely  post card from Paris this year and the picture of the Eiffel Tower was great.

There were upwards of fifty unused Post Cards in this collection.

There are about 20 cards from the Corporate Art Collection from the Reader's Digest of Canada.  Here are three.


Places I have actually been to.  These are all 'vintage' cards.

Saskatchewan Natural History Museum



The above are of Greenwater Provincial Park circa 1960 perhaps?

Melfort, Saskatchewan is cited on this card--obviously vintage.



 Obligatory Canadian Mountain Post Card.

 Two Vintage Cards from San Fransisco.


All of these could have been pictures taken in my back yard sometime over the last 30 years.
And now the most unusual postcards that I have ever come across.
Photographs with plastic overlaid to mime movement whenever one moves the card.

   I can understand the idea that movement would enhance these cards, but I have a bit more difficulty  understanding what would compel the designer to choose these for a 'moving' post card.
And the height of 'kitsch' I think is this--
What would one actually write on the back of this plastic card?  "Hello there. I am the one 6th from the left.  In spite of a serious discussion and one guy getting huffy and leaving(something to do with money apparantly), the meal was great. In fact it has been said that it is Everlasting--if you  can believe that!  Bread and wine seemed to be the dessert.

You should have been here to see the strange stuff  they do here involving feet and basins of water--at the table no less. 

And finally this one will be for my friend who is going to Hawaii this month.  It will be waiting in her post box upon her return home.

"Hi there. Wish I were there. I would have had a great time!"   p.




 Anyone want any of these mailed to you?  Just let me know.


No comments:

Post a Comment