Labels

Monday, September 3, 2018

When I Was Five....


When I was about 5 there seemed to be something special going on. I realize looking back now that Mom was probably in a bit of a dither because the UCW..United Church Women ..were coming out to the farm on a summer's afternoon for a meeting.
I specifically remember the house being particularly clean and being cautioned to be 'very'quiet' while the company was around. As a consequence after the ladies (some in hats) went down the hallway into the living room for the meeting I was left to my own quiet devices in the kitchen.
Now I do not remember why I wanted to reach the top of the refridgerator, but there must have been some sort of tempting item up there that would make a 5 year old brain think it would be a good idea to step on top of an open 10 pound bag of rolled oats that was propped against fridge's side.
The fall was short but the mess was great. The sight of rolled oats spread out all over the corner of Mom's pristine UCW ready floor still remains viviid in my 5 year old child's memory.
Terror blocked out the not so silent scream as this guilt ridden five year old went racing down the hall, through the staid and proper inner sanctum of 'the meeting' and ran up up up the stairs to my bed ( knowing in my mind that that was where I would end up anyways as punishment for 'the grievous' crime).
Confusion and disbelief set in when I heard my mother's sweetest voice call up to me from the bottom of the stairs..."Penny...Penny Dear..you can come down now. It is Ok. You aren't in trouble."




No comments:

Post a Comment