Labels

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Love Quote

‎#LOVE QUOTE: “I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.” ~ Mother Teresa

The above statement popped up on my FaceBook from the Canadian Bible Society.

 I can't believe that I am going to challenge not only the Canadian Bible Society but also probably the closest person to an angel that has walked this earth since   Jesus...but I am.


LOVEly as it sounds..I do NOT  believe that a person is supposed to love until it hurts.  Nothing good hurts, and if it does hurt it certainly isn't LOVE and it isn't because of LOVE, or a result of LOVE.  Its more than likely the result of whatever is out there that is the opposite of Love..do I have to say His name? 

And YES, Mother Teresa and CBS, there can be more hurt.  More hurt than anyone could imagine. 

 I am not talking physical blows, or cutting sarcastic remarks from the people who are in our immediate realm , although women and children in abusive situations would definitely do well to ignore this pleasant but false Love quote.

I am talking about the the world is  that is full of hurt.  There is an endless litany of hurts surrounding HIV, drug use, broken homes, homelessness, poverty, loneliness, pain, and  unrecorded  and unmeasurable emotional suffering throughout the world. Personally , I think, fear is probably the most painful of all, although I suspect everyone has their own 'most painful' dread.

Yes, Love is nice. But to say that if one loves until it hurts then there will be no more hurt is nothing but a cute and catchy  phrase. If you love, which is a verb, until it hurts, then I suggest you are doing something wrong.   For one thing...doing something that hurts YOU is  masochistic, and therefore cannot be beneficial to a person in need. 

Yes, Love your neighbour.  Love the strangers around the world. But don't ever think that if you are   being hurt as a result of that Love that that is a good thing..or a God thing.
  
 " Love the people who hurt until the people who hurt can love others."
                                                   Penny Hoffman (my blog-my quote)

No comments:

Post a Comment