Labels

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Sadie Hawkins' Day

Sadie Hawkins day has never been a very successful day for me..nope..not ever.  In fact any day where I was put in a situation where  flirting, charming, and sashaying were expected, I was a dismal failure.  Before you ask yourself the inevitable question of "Why am I not surprised?" let me describe a few instances of my failure as a  Junior/Senior High vamp and/or love goddess of the Prairies.


Some girls could  just BE and boys would glom on to them like bark on a tree.  All these 'girls', I  privately referred to them as chickypoos, had to do was ARRIVE  in the dance hall  with their  cashmere sweaters, flipped hair, flawless skin, and snazzy pale pink lipstick, and  there would be sort of little moan from the stag line .  You  would see  little black combs being pulled out and ties being straightened;  all the while  the smell of breath mints would gradually waft over the dance floor.

What did these girls have that I didn't? I would wash and curl my hair , brush my teeth , shave my legs,  and tweeze my eyebrows (mostly all before I actually got to the dance) and STAND around. 

You've heard of wall flowers...while I was more like a wall dandelion.  .I can only think of ONE time at a school dance that I actually got asked to dance. All I can really remember about the 'incident' was that I was taller than the fellow .  I was eye level with  his brushcut hair standing on end and the  smell of  hair gel lofted into my nostrils leaving a permanent memory  so that whenever I see hair cream on  grocery shelves  the song "Its My Party"  runs through my mind for the rest of the day.

If  I   ever tried to actually flirt with someone it would fall flat..flatter than  my ...ummmm ...I shall say hair sprayed kiss curls. 

For example :
Me (to nice looking boy)--You got your hair cut.

Boy:  Yeah

Other girl:  You got your hair cut.

Boy: Yeah. Wanna dance?

or

Me: (то football hero) Gee you played football really well today.

 FB Hero: Yeah. 

Other girl:  You played a good game today.

FB Hero: Wanna dance?

I would in desparation 'sashay' over to the stag line and say : "Hi fellows."

 I'd get some comment like , "What are you doing here?" or "Well..if it isn't one of the Dixon brothers!" or "Can we borrow your truck?"

Yep, some girls had  ''IT" and I most definitely did not.

 Did it matter then?  Yep, most definitely. 

Does it matter now?   Моst definitely maybe not.
                                    

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsYJyVEUaC4

No comments:

Post a Comment