Labels

Monday, February 13, 2012

Wagons HO!

I am on a quest for a little red wagon.  You know--that metal  kind with  with the long black handle and white and black wheels.

The kind that a kid or two  can sit in with at least three dolls or a toy tractor, while Mom pulls it down the road .  In my case it was a gravel road... not quite as comfy or quiet a ride  as those guys  in the city had  being pulled around on sidewalks and pavement, but the wonderful feeling of  being given a ride to somewhere would have been just the same.

 Some of the best wagons times  happened when someone would push  the wagon from behind  with one or two people  sitting in it.  Someone steered with the handle turned backward like a rudder--  until the 'driver' would turn too short and dump everyone out onto the ground.

I did pull my wagon to my grandma's one day...only two and half miles. Somehow it seemed to make more sense to pull it than to try to use it like a sit down scooter.  I guess even at the age of five I realized that that scooter business was only good for the city kids...still is actually.

For some reason I don't really remember our wagon ever being very RED.  More of a rust colour really which was a result of being left out in the rain and snow. That and having been used to haul , leaves, stones and potatos off the garden (a reveal from whence I got my gardening skills ).

 I do recall that  the wagon wasn't much good for carrying cats...especially ones dressed up in doll clothes.  Isn't it odd that a cat can sleep for hours in the sun by the window, but the minute a kid puts baby clothes on it and sticks it in a wagon it won't sit still for even a second?  Nope, cats just do not make good cargo.  I  notice, however, that there are  fancy enclosed  plastic wagons  available now so the new generation might be more successful in transporting 'baby' cats to and fro.

http://www.poems-and-quotes.com/misc/poems.php?id=777162







No comments:

Post a Comment