Labels

Sunday, May 27, 2012

A Tribute to a Lovely Lady

October 28, 2010 United Church Fort Qu'Appelle, Saskatchewan
Marilyn and Allan and Family, Ladies an Gentlemen
For those of you who don't know me, I am the daughter of Russel Dixon. Kay was my stepmother and my friend.
I would like to thank Marylyn and Allan for allowing me to speak about Kay at this very difficult time...I hope what I am going to say will bring honor to her memory and serve as some comfort for her family.
As so many of us in this building already know Kay was truly a remarkable woman... someone who had led a life every bit as remarkable as any that I have ever met...from meeting Agatha Christie, Dancing at the Savoy, Skating at the Chrystal Palace and watching the Battle of Britain in her back yard with her brother...she never ceased to amaze me..but the time that I was most Amazed and oft times totally awe struck was during the time that she spent caring for Dad while he was hospitalized.
Dad and Kay were married in December of 2001 and before two months had passed Dad had suffered a debilitating stroke that left him paralyzed, unable to swallow, speak clearly, walk, play the Banjo, totally unable to fend for himself..and needing constant care until his passing. Now...I myself was not present at Dad and Kay's wedding but I certainly was a witness to their marriage which was every bit as important, meaningful and rewarding as any marriage involving two people of any age that is based on kindness, dignity and mutual respect--and the following is just a smattering of ways that this marriage and Kay's gift of seeing the possibilities of seemingly impossible circumstances made life and living not only for my Dad, but for all who choose to acknowledge it, more special and surprisingly precious.
Shortly after the stroke Kay stood over Dad's hospital bed and declared to me that LIFE IS SWEET--I remember being somewhat skeptical of this idea as Dad was so ill and it seemed that all of their high hopes for happy years together had been dashed...but for over two years Kay proved her declaration to be true...as she did everything in her power to make sure that Dad's life was richer than it otherwise would have been if she had not been in it...
Kay spent 27 months of not missing a day being by his side..making Dad's quality of life better than anyone could have imagined...I personally had not known really to what extent the concept of unconditional Love and total acceptance could be until I witnessed Kay's untiring dedication to my Dad--his life was enriched a thousand fold by her presence and never ending attempts to make life interesting and yes even exciting at times-some including contraband budgies, visits with Sammy the Cat , and fun with a Polaroid camera that I shan't explain at this time..but it will always bring a smile to my face whenever I think of it.
It was also due to Kay's insistence that we take dad out for drives as often as we could and consequently there were no excuses acceptable to her as to why a 50 plus woman didn't want to tackle learning to drive a HUGE Brand New Handicapped Van-- but I knew that if I didn't do it then she WOULD ... so learn I did..and it was great.
Kay always showed up in his room 7:30 am and wouldn't leave until twelve hours later--even if it meant that she had to walk the length of two football fields in January to and from the hospital in the dark because of car trouble and once because the town roads were blocked she literally crawled her way through snowdrifts to be at the hospital in time.
If she ever left him for an appointment or pressing necessity she always ensured that there was someone there to watch over him.
It is my fervent belief that Kathleen was SENT to be in Dad's life at that time and place--it couldn't have been any other way..
-I wish to take this moment to thank Marilyn and Alan and their family for unselfishly allowing Kay to absent herself from many many family gatherings, seasonal celebrations and even weddings while she was busy sweetening Dad's life with her vigor and imagination. Your generous and gracious sacrifice--not unlike Kay herself.. was duly noted, is appreciated even today, and will not soon be forgotten.
Kay's remarkable strength of character, her high ideals and value of life and respect for the institution of marriage not only enhanced my father's last days but also taught me and anyone else who observed this total dedication to duty and ultimate example of Love as a VERB, that there is no end to the possibilities when it comes to sweetening life..no matter what the circumstance. This concept is also reflected in Barbra De Angeles' quotation and it could easily have been Kay’s... “Marriage is not a noun, it’s a verb ...It isn’t something you get. It’s something you do. It is the way you love your partner every day.”
911 was a day that the modern world was forever changed... .I know that my world was changed that day..but not for the reason you may think..as September 11, 2001 was the day that I first laid eyes upon Dad's dear Kathleen...she was wearing a long blue dress and she was dancing to the music played by a band that included my Dad playing his banjo. It is my hope and prayer that perhaps the Good Lord in His Wisdom in some form of Sweet Eternity has allowed Kay and Dad to once again Play and Dance to the Music that they both loved so well.


No comments:

Post a Comment