Labels

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Spidey Sense

Today I had a close call.

 It wasn't a particularly dangerous or life changing, threatening, or  a financially disastrous close call..but a close call nevertheless.
 
It wasn't the type of close call that I experienced at the age of 22 when I ALMOST ignored the Yield sign in my small hometown just because there was so little traffic at 6:00 pm when everyone was at home eating supper and no one would  or should have been driving around-- except of course the Grey Hound Bus!   Yesiree Bob that gray piece of iron just whipped by my front bumper only by the width of the layer of grasshopper guts plastered to it.  I have to thank what people in the security business refer to as the "spidey sense" that made me slow down and take that one mini-second extra glance to my right and see the cruising vehicle bearing down towards the intersection I was just about to drive through.

This 'spidey sense' has  made itself evident upon occasion only a few times since. Sometimes avoiding only minor consequences and at other times major catastrophes.

This morning for instance a minor consequence was avoided as I was drawn to leave for my trip to town a full hour before my  salon appointment.  I seemed to have time on my hands at home this morning while getting ready.  I even wrote a couple of letters and stamped and enveloped them for mailing.  I fiddled with my hair (even if it was going to soon be cut, coloured, and combed by a professional).  I played with the dog, put wood in the stove, and started another load of laundry.  When I couldn't think of anything else to do I felt compelled to start out for town an  hour before I would have had to be there.   It was only when I saw the town buildings on the horizon that I remembered that I had an appointment to get the oil changed in the car and I had now 5 minutes to  be there on time.  I believe it was the 'spidey sense' urging me to 'get going' so I wouldn't be late.

That was an example of 'spidey sense' in remission if you will. 

This  is Spidey Sense on Warp Speed!

Envision this:

Two children.

One about 18 months sitting at the kitchen table eating cereal with a spoon.

 The other child about 3 months of age  sitting in a yellow plastic chair on top of the table. 

 Mother is at the kitchen sink doing dishes with her back to the children but watching the table through  the use of a mirror  mounted on the wall in front of the sink. 



 The only  sounds in the kitchen were of baby in chair babbling, the splash of dishes in the soapy water, the slurping of the cereal by the toddler. 

 Mother hears the gentle clink of something falling to the floor--a soft little metallic sound.

It could have been just part of the eating process by the toddler but then again---!

That's when I believe the 'spidey sense' kicked in as the Mother swirled around to see  that  part of the  chair with baby in it was half on and half off the table.

 The toddler had been pulling the chair closer to him so he could see the baby better and inadvertently had knocked a spoon off the table to the floor--the little metallic sound the Mother had heard.  

The Mother's ability to tap into her God Given 'spidey sense' allowed her to avert what otherwise could have been a dire consequence.


Have YOU ever experienced the 'spidey sense'? and if so to what end?


Spidey sense:
Derived from the "Spidey sense" of the comic book superhero Spiderman, it is generally used to mean a vague but strong sense of something being wrong, dangerous, suspicious, a security situation.


No comments:

Post a Comment