Labels

Saturday, October 20, 2012

Hush Little Baby

Sometimes when I am at my emotional lowest I hear the echo of someone in my past saying to me, "Oh GROW up already!". 

  What does this phrase "Grow Up" mean? 

 Does it mean grow physically?  Lord knows  I've done that. 

Does it mean Grow in Accepting responsibility? I've done that. (at least I like to think I have). 

Does it mean Grow in being able to drive, vote, own land?
Again, been there, done that.

 Yes, I have pretty much done it all when it comes to Growing Up but no matter how hard I try ,  it never seems that Growing Up  can  erase the feeling part of life  which  waits in the  lowest corners of my bag of emotional needs and wants.

I am beginning to suspect in spite of Growing Up it's more than  a choice we make to put ourselves into  seemingly bottomless wells of despair, angst, hurt, and hardship.  There is something in the wallowing and the woeing  that we seem to be destined  to do.

  Maybe it's natural for us humans of 'little brain' and 'great emotional need' to continually and without remorse, place our mental health on the edge of  the deepest  blackest void we can imagine, absent of love , hope, or understanding.

I have often thought that if we as adults cried as long and as loudly with as much frustrated effort in order to achieve whatever goal is required to satisfy an infant's needs such as nourishment, comfort, and love, then we adults would be doomed to neurosis, dysfunction, and depression.

Maybe this state of darkness exists because we really don't travel far from being that helpless, needy, and fragile little life form that emerges from our mother's womb.

Think about it. 

If what I have written is true, then few of us, if any, have truly left the cradle.

 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment