Labels

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Frightfullly Delightful

Hallowe'en, the season of Fear, is just around the corner .  

Fear has always been something that I don't like to think about often but when I do it makes me think of possibilities that spawn worries that create panic that cause turmoil which results in Drama!

Fear is a bit different from Fright in that Fright is to me sort of something quick and intense.  Fear is something that lives in our mind whereas Fright is something that sort of sideswipes our consciousness leaving us gasping for breath.  Fright is not unlike the seemingly instantaneous explosion of foam that occurs when one opens a bottle of Coke or Pepsi (no favoritism will be detected on this blog).

 Fright is probably what my  nine year old sister felt when she returned to her bed in her darkened room and discovered someone lying in the bed next to her --a result of a misplaced idea  of fun on the part of our little brother.  The piercing scream that echoed throughout the household some 45 years ago is a shared memory of everyone who was at home that night.

The night that I was alone, on the farm, watching the late, late, late show...Psycho.. and heard someone knock on the door caused me what I believe to be my greatest and most memorable Fright.  I could feel the colour drain from my face and would have probably fainted if I had been standing instead of lying on  the sofa.

If Fright is quick and piercing , then I see  Fear as been something constant and aching.    We Fear  not only the darkness  (as my sister did for years and years to come)  but we also Fear the unknown and the painfully imagined. If we use our Fear based imagination to rule our lives we allow ourselves to become attuned to Fear filled  self-talk that  is coloured with dark negativity accompanied by unfounded certainty and conjured disasters resulting in  the aforesaid panic, turmoil and the  ultimate common sense destroying entity called Drama. 

People live their whole lives with Fear and its consequences. The Fears of being alone,  being worthless, being wrong, being poor, being sick, being abandoned rule the world. Tears are shed, letters  written, phone calls  made, texts and twitters sent,  bargains put forth, begging  done, and prayers  offered all to assuage the ache and torment encapsulated in form of Drama that these Fear demons invoke.

Fears are bigger than the Frights of Hallowe'en.  If only we could just dump them in some witch's cauldron or shoot them to the moon on a black cat's tail  on that one  Frightful night of the year.  The howling, screeching, and strange things going bump in the night would be deafening and maybe the world would really look a whole lot different the next morning.

Fear Itself Is Undefined

© Bianca Flores
I lay on my bed soaking my pillow with my tears,
I try to remember exactly what it is that I fear.
Is it the passing of time or the love that I lack?
Is it the mistakes that I've made or the fact that I can't bring the past back?
What is it that I'm afraid of?
Why am I so scared?
Is it the people I've hurt or the people that have hurt me?
Am I afraid of everything that I cant seem to see?
Is it the love of a friend, or the loss of my family?
Is it the possibility that my life can end in a tragedy?
What is it that I fear most?
What do my eyes say I'm scared of?
Is it the sun that sets but won't seem to rise?
Is it the hope that I have that always seems to die?
Is it the trust of a person that I cannot begin to grasp?
Is it all the memories of my horrid past?
Is it me?
Can it possibly be that the thing I fear most is the thing I can't be?
The things that I try to understand?
The me that I try to be with when I'm feeling sad?
The person I'm expected to be? Is that what I fear? . . .
I think the thing I fear most . . .is me


Source: Fear Itself Is Undefined, Fear Poem http://www.familyfriendpoems.com/poem/fear-itself-is-undefined#ixzz29yQY1Aev
www.FamilyFriendPoems.com

No comments:

Post a Comment