Labels

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Country Living



Not too long ago someone spoke to me about the lifestyle of those who live in rural Canada.

Their breathy awe filled voice spoke with phrases sprinkled with pastoral metaphors, odes, and similes  when they described the abundance of Nature's Beauty,  the Simplicity and Quietness of Daily Living, the Purity of Air and Water, the Relaxation,  Freedom from Schedules and Traffic found in the Crime Free Rural Lifestyle, as well as the total Economic Freedom  from Financial Burdens as a result of the  Ability to Live Off The Land.

I let them speak.  I let them fantasize. I let them think that the  Nirvana type lifestyle in their mind's eye of country living was every bit as good as they dreamed.  I did not contradict or explain, or 'point out', or correct. 

I let them ignore the presence of 150 pound  security dog in the yard , the building full of  tools such as: chains,  hammers from claw to sledge, generators, gas tanks, saws, wagons,  ATV,  snowmobile, axe and .22 rifle. The majority of these items my city friend would have  had a hard time even naming let alone using with efficiency or safety. 

 I avoided discussion of sewer pumps, sump pumps, water heaters, and cut off valves.  I did not point out the  shed filled with cut and cured wood for winter burning.

 I did not comment on the need for two well maintained  , gas filled vehicles needing to be plugged in for at least 4 months of the year 24/7...one to drive..the other to pull.

The existence and frequency of the siting of skunks, snakes, raccoons, squirrels porcupines, coyotes, deer, moose and occasional bear along with lynx and cougar were not discussed.

The absence of mosquito control, pest   inspectors, law enforcement officers, fire departments, water inspectors, plumbers, and electricians was not even touched upon.


Further to the conversations that did not take place, the incident of the neighbour walking 3 miles for help after his arm was caught in the baler, and his choosing to walk another mile even further as there were children playing in the first yard and he didn't want to upset them. 

This non conversation also did not cover the subject of blocked roads in winter and wet and washed out roads in summer. Nor was the possibility that the hour long trip to the nearest ER ward over icy roads during a snow storm that looms in the back of every rural resident's mind from October to March, ever mentioned or hinted at.

I am not quite certain why so many subjects were not touched upon with my Fantasizing Urban Innocent. Perhaps it was because I liked the idea of someone from the City being a little envious of my Country Bumpkin ways. But more likely the cause was because, deep down,  I was hoping against hope they would offer in some monetary way to trade living arrangements.

Alas, the offer didn't happen.

I am still enjoying my Pastoral Life free from Pollution, Crime, Social Pressures, and  am able to partake of  Nature's Seasonal Offerings that build Strength of  Character and  Instill Values that are  so often the result of there being 'No Where Else to Go'.




I suppose the pleasure of country life lies really in the eternally renewed evidences of the determination to live”--unknown


The country life is to be preferred, for there we see the works of God; but in cities little else but the works of men. And the one makes a better subject for contemplation than the other.”



No comments:

Post a Comment