Labels

Saturday, April 7, 2012

The Sound of Silence

It is a stormy, snowy, windy Easter weekend.  The snow is heavy and wet.  Highways are full of rain, snow, and icy slush, making travel difficult and dangerous .  Our country road will be nearly impossible to navigate, but  getting out of our yard will be our first worry.

This is the type of weekend that we would caution our children to play carefully.  No silly jumping, wrestling, or horse  play  would be allowed because it would be very difficult to get to a doctor or hospital .


It is also a weekend of relative quiet.  The satellite dish that carries our television signal is 'down' due to an accumulation of heavy snow on the critical part of the download device even though it is situated under the eaves of the roof.

 The only sound in the house is that of the water pump starting periodically as it fills the busy washing machine.  Every so often the rumble of a freight train two miles away makes its way into our awareness.
The other sounds we hear are the chipping of our finches and the sound of the wind.

 The purpose of this video is to show not only the heavy snowfall but also to show the quietness in my part of the world.  I recently heard a radio program that described silence as the sound that is left when one  cannot hear any mechanical man made sound. That is why I was interested in recording my immediate area to see the depth of silence in my surroundings.

I apologize for the quality of the picture as I could not actually see the view finder to determine exactly what I was videoing but I would like you to note the swaying of the tall trees, the snow blowing out by the barn, and the sound.

 

The link to the short story was chosen because of the importance silence played in the plot as well as its vivid portrayal of  the type of isolation that we who live in rural Canada experience.   I studied this particular piece  during my last year of university in my Canadian English Literature class. 

 
 
 
http://sussexhigh.nbed.nb.ca/jjohnston/English_123_2009_10/The%20Painted%20Door%20--Sinclair%20Ross.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment