Labels

Monday, April 9, 2012

Licked!



I just looked out the window and saw the most beautiful clear icicles  hanging from the window ledge that I've seen in several years.  The first thought when I saw these was , 'Won't it be fun to grab them and lick them?'   Now rethinking that  thought, I wonder 'Who in their right mind would actually DO that?

To actually 'lick' something frozen that has no doubt dripped slowly down a dirty, insect crawled on (or worse), asphalt covered roof seems almost unbearable but I distinctly remember doing that very thing about 50+ years ago.

There must be something about 'licking' that subtly either destroys germs or renders them harmless in the minuscule consumption of same.  Children lick fingers, toys,  pets, and even shoes if not watched carefully and there has never yet been a flu or sickness that has been attributed to licking per se.  

Besides being a term used to describe a successful sporting event as in  "We licked them good.", the phrase 'to get a licking' conjures up more darker memories.

  At least one commercial chicken company  has also benefited from this near primal act of taste testing  and hence adopted the "Finger Licking Good" motto much to their success.

Yes, licking seems to be the first tried and true test for tastiness and tenderness when it comes to taste tasters of all types, but I believe I will pass on the icicles this time around.......






                                  ....although I will never forget the licking I gave the cows' salt block in the pasture one hot summer day....




                                                     ....now THAT was tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment