Labels

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

FACEless Day 1

I am for the next 46 days Faceless.  I have chosen as my token suffering for Lent to not turn to Facebook for what has been increasingly  my  first source of  information, gossip, banter, unusual recipes as well as bizarre photographs. 


 I have not deactivated my account. That would be too easy. 


 No, I have chosen to simply let my account lie dormant but  at the same time active in that it still receives information, inbox messages, photographs, and tantalizing and clever jokes, cartoons and odd health tips--Oil Pulling Anyone?   


There were a few strange moments this morning during my mounting mourning routine.  I went to my laptop...turned it on..closed down the Facebook automatic search notification, turned to my email, CBC news, SaskObits, SaskJobs, and Sask Roads..and finally Twitter..a poor Facebook second.  No notification scanning to be done, no in box messages to be read and answered, no bit of Facebook stalking done this morning.  No attempt at clever comments on my status, no thought of choosing a new Facebook Cover or Profile Picture.


  No.  Nothing like that at all.  Simple information gathering from impersonal sources...radio included.


There is without a doubt a sense of loss, a sense of dread, and an unease that is probably connected to chemicals  in my body doing 'their thing' as one habit is replaced by another no matter what that habit is--healthy or unhealthy.


So for the rest of this 'One Day At A Time' day I will have to make new choices to connect with others, gain information, and  perhaps find enjoyment from something not digital-- the way I used to a mere 5 years ago.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment