Labels

Saturday, March 1, 2014

"Render unto Caesar" Mark 12:17

It is that time of year again.


No, I am not referring to that time to start plants in little peat pots in hopes to get a jump on the summer garden...
                       although for some it is.


No, I am not referring to the time of year to start planning summer vacations....
                      although for some it is.


No, I am not referring even to the time of year when one starts to Spring Clean...
                       although for some it is.


I am referring to TAX TIME.


The time when grown adults, who often have well paying jobs, who are usually responsible, law abiding, compassionate citizens turn into a form of rascally petty thieves whose sole goal is to deny central government of even $1 of extra cash. 


   

The emotions that surround the filling and filing of income tax forms either personally or with the help of a professional range from panic, guilt, desperation, and fear, prompted primarily by out and out lying either by omission or action. I have actually seen people get in a disgusted rage when referring to their  henceforth fired accountant who actually suggested that they have to PAY money at tax time.    Receipts are hoarded, gas bills padded, expense accounts justified. 


 The morals and ethics of every citizen in Canada is exposed at Tax time.  People who would never ever think of shop lifting, cheating on their spouses, or driving away from a 'bumper thumper' will without conscience or hesitation try to claim the dog food bought for their Chiwawa  as a security expense for their business  or  submit lunch bills  for their uncle's funeral as tax write offs.


I believe I have a bit of an odd attitude to Income Tax.  It comes from the fact that for several years neither I nor my husband  did not have to pay anything into the government  tax coffers.


 Ten years to be exact. 


 These years of absent income tax payments were not a product of careful accounting, deceitful declaration of income, or even choice. It was  simply a time of low income, almost unbearably low.


It is from that experience that I take great pride in being able to say that 'Yes, I have to pay income tax."  For me, being able to pay income tax means that I am a contributing member of society who has earned a right to voice my opinion on how tax dollars are spent and  on whom they are spent. 


I love that  I  can drive down the paved road to my place of work to earn money that is taxed so that I may count on trustworthy policing, good education for our young people, be cared for by an educated and ethical medical profession, and enjoy cultural activities ranging from hockey to listening to live symphony.


  My country is a thriving and respected entity in the world that promotes peace and respect for all no matter what religion, race, or cultural background and the reason for this is because of regular citizens' tax dollars being spent carefully and with the goals of excellence in mind.


So to those who whine or try to cheat on their Income Tax Returns  because they are expected to contribute to the well being of the Best Country in the World  I say Shame on You.


 I wish them all the best when the next big issue arises in their tax time trials--


                                  ---that  being the  AUDIT.












 















No comments:

Post a Comment