Labels

Monday, April 8, 2013

A Little Bit of Lawnmower Goes a Long Ways

I have always enjoyed that Lawnmower commercial where the guy is showing off all the stuff he has owned over the years and which he still uses. 

  "See this shirt..had it for 15 years.  See this car..had it for 20 years.  See this tool belt...it was my Dad's."

 The presentation ends, of course, with the reliability of the chosen and aged lawnmower --a selling feature in today's culture of built in obsolescence.

Actually that line "See this (whatever article chosen)..I've had it for 30 years" has been used by myself to tease my husband who loves the idea that many of the items in his possession are well used and still functional.  He treasures the first set of tools he ever owned, wears every pair of slippers until the developing holes become a danger on stairs and floor alike, and still crows over the sound and size of his stereo speakers which he bought 35 years ago.

I, too, have come to realize the value of keeping and using things as much as possible.  As I think of my  31 year old electric stove, the 'newer' 15 year old refrigerator, and the pine table and china cabinet set that have served the family through 4 children, at least 60 birthday party celebrations, 33 Xmas dinners, as well as several games of cards, Easter Egg decorating, along with sausage making episodes and homemade pasta making afternoons; I realize that perhaps that 'use it till it falls apart and then make a rag out of it philosophy' may apply to myself as well.

We still use the quilt my mother-in-law sewed from used clothing 40 years ago, the hooked rug I made while still a single teacher, as well as  the paint worn and handle bent wheelbarrow that we bought for use in our first garden. 

I feel a sense of pride not only in our thriftiness, but also our ability to appreciate and utilize the things we have to the fullest.   

One can, however , take things just a little too far  in terms of keeping items  just in case one might need it, as I found, much to my surprise, in my laundry an item that mysteriously had decided to 'float' to the top and make itself known once again after many many years of even the remotest usefulness.


A Nursing Bra!

No comments:

Post a Comment