Labels

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Six Decades

I will soon be 60 years of age.  A milestone.  A time when one is to take time to sit back and reflect on one's life.  A time to dwell on  and celebrate past successes and failures.  A time to relax, chill out, and accept life as it comes with an air of wisdom and sagacity that comes from a life not necessarily well lived but more likely lived as easy or hard as the next 60 year old who was born on this planet in 1952 on the continent of North America, to parents of average income, intelligence and loving intent for their children.

Someone (my husband) has told me that there were more people born in the year 1952 in North America than in any year before or since.  So that makes me  and my 60th birthday a pretty common event as far as common events go in this land of plenty.

There are many things I could mention in terms of memories, wishes, regrets, and hopes, but they probably aren't really any different from any one of those oh so many other 60 year olds in this part of the world. 

Who hasn't been on this earth  60 years without making mistakes by choosing wrongly,  quitting when we should have strived onwards, borrowed when we should not have, saved when we should have spent, worked where we hated, and played less often than we should have.

  No one gets to be 60 without at least one time being so embarrassed that they turn red in the face just thinking about an incident.(Thinking about it right now aren't you?)



  No 60 year old exists who wouldn't cross the street, leave a building, or cover their face if ever they were to see at least one person that they hope they never  ever would encounter again for whatever reason--apology to be given, money to be returned, or promise that was broken.

The  mere fact  that so many of 'US' were born in  what must be considered some sort of marked year in the annuals of North American Society makes me to personally think it is  fortunate that neither of the then  Super Powers of that Era ever attempted to harness the total huge mass of energy that must have existed in terms of the teenage hormones that were  collectively raging from the mid 1960's to the  mid 1970's.
  I suspect a new form of chemical warfare era could have taken place causing whole populations to unknowingly and unwillingly  engage in unusual customs involving unprecedented change  in social mores  being  hormonally driven and  never before seen anywhere in the History of the Greater North American Lifestyle.  I am thinking, Dear  Reader, of such Flower Power fashion statements as Mini skirts, Aviator glasses, Nero shirts, Platform shoes, Afro hairdos,  Bell bottoms (as in clothing), and Bra burning ( also as in clothing); as well as social occurrences in numbers heretofore never considered or even imagined or recorded  such as:   love-ins, laugh- ins, sit-ins and drop-ins all  often done through shout-outs by drop-outs to those who  were then deemed cop-outs.



Yes, indeed, it certainly is a good thing the other side didn't get a hold of any of that Hormone Stuff or we would have all been in big trouble.  The world would now have been a very different place, lacking a certain 'je ne sais quoi' if you will.  

Hmmm....wait a minute....





Yes, I am turning 60. 

I did do a lot of things in the past 6 decades,

 and 

 I did not do a lot of things..

  I did not become a Brain Surgeon,
    I did not marry a Prince,
     I did not go on an African Safari,
      I did not read War and Peace,
       I did not go to Paris for lunch,
         I did not jump out of an airplane,
           I did not dance at the Savoy,
             I did not hold public office,
               I did not tame a lion,
                 ... and I did not star on Broadway...


                                                             ...yet. 





No comments:

Post a Comment