Labels

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Chirp Chirp

Strange Things I Have Eaten

 10. Chevron..meat from a goat...very good actually.   I shouldn't even list it as strange as so many people around the world eat Chevron every day.

 9. Rabbit--again common everywhere but North America. Very good and a very economical source of protein.

8. Prairie chicken..which isn't all that unusual..except that I had hit it with my car traveling between my parents' house and Wolseley. I stopped, picked it up..took it to the next door neighbour..he cleaned it (poor lil ol'me). I fried it up and ate it.  Road Kill -- Can't get any fresher than that. (Doesn't everybody do it?)

7.  Chocolate covered ants.  I bought them in a gourmet section of Safeway for my Dad for his birthday.   They were quite a hit.

6.  Conch--the sort of flat gooey pancake colored sea  animal that lives in those pretty pinkish shells that people buy to "listen to the ocean to".   I was on a catamaran once in the Bahamas and divers were bringing them up from the bottom of the ocean.  They then cooked them fresh...pan fried and seasoned.

5. Cricket cookies from my daughter's Science Fair Project...she is now a vegan.

4. Clams...from a local lake this time...probably quite a dangerous practice due to the high risk of  poisoning found in improperly prepared shellfish.

3. Roe--Fish eggs milked from Northern Pike.  Fried and seasoned.

2. Palt--a Scandinavian ground boiled potato and flour patty with butter , black pepper, and bacon.

1. A worm--when I was little.


This all puts me in mind of a young mother who  described a disturbing happening when she went outside to check on her two year old daughter.  After calling and calling and looking all around the back yard she finally found her young baby sitting quietly  in the shrubs. The top of her dress  was blood stained and feathers  were sticking here and there on her hair and clothing.  With twinkling eyes and a bloodied mouth smile, the little girl held out her round  tightfisted hands that contained ....


                                             ...... a headless robin.


               This cookbook has receipes to cook Muskrat Meatloaf, Sweet Pickled Beaver, Ground Hog, and Turtle and many more Wildly Exciting Delights.

No comments:

Post a Comment