Labels

Monday, April 7, 2014

Elder Abused

While lying in bed the other night it occurred to me that getting older is getting less and less fun and more and more of a chore.


I commented on this to my husband who was  lying next to me quietly reading his latest novel which was neatly propped up on a cushion on his chest...his layered clip on reading glasses sitting on his nose ...his head lying at a 45degree angle to the pillow displaying a profile I have etched in my memory as a result of over 30 years of married life.  This profile serves to convince me that when one is doing something one loves then one becomes at least 75% even more attractive to others.


After hearing my mumbling complaint about age he  absent mindedly asked, "How so? " --eyes never leaving the page.


As I put down my own 800 page novel and removed my Drug Store Reading glasses and rubbed my aching wrist that  had tired from holding such a book, I reminded him that the mere fact that we were both in bed reading at 8:45 in the evening was an example of  the limited fun to be had at our age. 


I continued on by describing  the betrayal I felt by my own body.


I pointed out that  even on a Saturday night I could no longer  half attempt to get even a little buzz on anymore , not because I couldn't afford the booze or hadn't the time, it was merely because I couldn't stay up late enough for the alcohol to kick in. 


I reminded him that even eating had become a challenge as unless I  only eat porridge or dry white bread I am prone to acid reflux and heartburn.  Anything I do eat anymore just seems to turn to fat and even if I just eat veggies and fruits  and do lose weight my face and arms have the look of a deflated balloon.. soft, wrinkly, and Hallowe'enish.


I went on to say that the real kicker is that my shoulders hurt me if I sleep on my side,  my heartburn gets me if I lie on my back, and if I do sleep more than 3 good hours, I wake up having to use the washroom ASAP and my poor knee  then aches all the worse because it has been  lying still for so long. 


I also pointed out  that to add insult to injury, I keep thinking I am 65 instead of 61. What the reason that would be is anyone's guess except the obvious slow progressive onset of a type of dementia.


At the end of this almost weepy tirade, the reader beside me stirred, turned his head a shade in my direction and simply said, "It's not so bad.  You are still doing pretty good."


Mollified only slightly, I turned  over , switched off the bed light , squeeched down under the covers for a bit of a cuddle  and promptly and without warning...









                                                                .....farted.





No comments:

Post a Comment