Labels

Saturday, November 30, 2013

Hair Raising

I spent some time in the 'Beauty Parlour' the other day having my monthly to six week procedure done of cut, colour, and, of course, a  glorious shampoo.  There really isn't  anything better than a peppermint shampoo being liberally and robustly scrubbed into one's scalp.  Invigorating and worth every dollar spent having it done.

That is the 'Beauty' of the whole scene.  

Now I will discuss the Beauty of the Parler si on peut le dire en francais.

Yes, sans doubt, a visit to a place where there are primarily women, who have time on their hands, who have the money to spend, and who are without a doubt going to walk out of the premises looking better than they went in, is a place of much chatter, giggling, gossip, and revelations.  

So it was that interesting day at the House of Hair and Spray. 

 The conversation casually started , I think,  with what and how the Hallowe'en Trick/Treaters fared for the young mothers in the group.
They spoke of children wandering into the Liquor Store and actually getting a treat, of home made costumes and other trickery. 

This conversation  ultimately wandered into tricks people have played on family on April 1 (April Fool's Day).  One young woman proclaimed  with unusual glee that that day was her family's favourite holiday (I hadn't realized it was a holiday).  I  continued to listen unobtrusively with head covered in a plastic bag, hair matted down in a brown syrupy mess to find out exactly why this 'holiday' would be so appealing.

"I will never forget the April 1 that I was six," proclaimed one young woman.  " My mother woke us all up yelling , 'Fire! Fire!'." "I was traumatized." 

Not to be outdone another young woman announced that her Great Aunt Hilda who is 80 years old lies down at the bottom of the stairs and groans every April 1 morning and catches her unsuspecting family off guard almost every time.

A third young woman chimed in that she got her 5 year old daughter to call up her older sister and tell her that 'Mommy won't wake up.' and the resulting chaos than ensued- as the panicked woman hung up the phone and jumped into the car to her sister's to check that all was well before she was told it was a trick.

Then, there was the story about one of their brothers who had gone out the night before April 1 and somehow fell out of a tree simply because in the tone of derision only a sister can muster, "He is a man."

This 'man' supposedly called his father  to say that he needed help because he had fallen out of a tree and had broken his ankle.  His father noting the date on the calendar being the early morning of April 1 merely said, "Sure you did.", and hung up and turned over and went back to sleep."  About  an hour later when the son hadn't yet returned the father decided he should go see where his son had gotten to at such a late hour. He found him , sitting by a curb not far from home under a tree with a broken ankle. 

Now the Nail! The Point!

As I watched the beauticians working hard cutting, colouring , creaming, snipping, spraying, brushing,  curling, and ironing clients' hair I was privy to a conversation that really showed that just because you  have gotten your hair done and you  think you look smart doesn't mean that you are smart..or even kind, thoughtful, or grateful for that matter.

Client:  I'd like to come back before Christmas.
Beautician:  Well, let's see.  I am pretty booked up already.
Client:  It's really important that I get my hair done again before we leave.
Beautician:  Well, how about the 17th..at 8:00 in the morning? I could come in an hour early if you like? 
Client: Hmmm.
Beautician:  That is if you don't think it is too early. 
Client:  I really don't know.  I'm not really a morning person.
Beautician:  (Pause)  How about 6:30 pm that day? I can stay an hour later. My mom can make supper for the kids that night I suppose.
Client:  Sure that would work.


Yep., you can go to a Beauty Parlor every day of the week , at any time of the day, and you aren't going to be very pretty if the Beauty isn't on the inside too.
   




No comments:

Post a Comment